Name:

What is there to say? I'm not very interesting. I'm not a good writer. I don't even dress well. If you insist on knowing something about me just wander through the archives. It's all there.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

On the big lie

I think it was one of Hitler’s henchmen who formally stated the concept of the Big Lie. The idea is that if you take an obvious untruth and say it often enough, people will actually begin to believe it is true. I am starting a collection of everyday, modern Big Lies. Here are a few of them that I've noticed so far:

Lie: For your protection these premises are monitored with closed circuit TV.
Truth: Your protection has nothing to do with it. Our customers and employees are ripping us off so we decided to electronically spy on everyone who enters the place in an effort to catch them.

Lie: This call may be monitored or recorded for quality control purposes.
Truth: Even we aren’t sure what the phrase “quality control purposes” means. The truth is that we record your calls in case you sue us. If, of course, the recording helps your case; we will have routinely recorded over the conversation. Oops.

Lie: This is a courtesy call regarding …
Truth: You have registered yourself on the Do Not Call list. So we had to come up with this flimsy excuse to get at you, hopefully right when you were sitting down to dinner, without getting fined by the Feds.

I really wanted to collect examples of the modern Big Lie during the last election cycle, but I only have an 80 Gig hard drive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home