Name:

What is there to say? I'm not very interesting. I'm not a good writer. I don't even dress well. If you insist on knowing something about me just wander through the archives. It's all there.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

On unfair journalism

I should never be allowed near the computer when I am angry.

As a rule, I do not deal with subjects here that anyone could really care about. I am going to make an exception. A commentator on a “fair and balanced” news show was denigrating those who served on the MJ jury. The attack was quite personal including a comment about needing to require an IQ test for this jury. I have served on a jury. It was a difficult process that a group of everyday people took very seriously. We tried hard to be fair and “do what was right”. To vilify the people on a jury, simply because they make a decision that you do not agree with, is incredibly unfair and wrong. I was disgusted. Say you disagree. Say that you would have done it differently as a juror, but don’t attack those who had to sit through it all and struggle to make that final decision. Shame.

Personally, I don’t know that I agree with the verdict. However, I wasn’t there. I didn’t sit through weeks of testimony and argument. I didn’t spend six days in a closed jury room with eleven other souls reaching down deep to determine what is “truth” and what is “lie”. I may or may not agree with the decision, but I have the utmost respect for those who have to make the decision.

“The sword of the law should never fall but on those whose guilt is so apparent as to be pronounced by their friends as well as foes.” – Thomas Jefferson

2 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

It's the comments after they serve that concern me. Not only this jury, but any of the high profile juries. When I served on a jury I was appalled at the pettiness.

15/6/05 5:09 AM  
Blogger HCaldwell said...

If a news commentator wants to verbally abuse someone for comments that are made as an individual after the fact. Fine. On the other hand, there is nothing more despicable than "attack journalism" in the guise of moral indignation. The jury, as a group and with all their petty failings, still did what was asked of them.

15/6/05 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home