Name:

What is there to say? I'm not very interesting. I'm not a good writer. I don't even dress well. If you insist on knowing something about me just wander through the archives. It's all there.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

On cell phone features

My new cell phone has a built-in camera that can take stills or video. I guess I can also play music files on it and, of course, I can do text messaging. Did I really need a telephone that can take pictures, video, send text, or play music? No, I would just like a phone whose buttons are actually usable for those of us with adult sized fingers. I would much rather have a feature on the phone that would call me on the landline and tell me where it was located when I misplaced it.

I wonder whom the first person was who called their cell phone provider and said, “Gee, I really want my telephone to be able to take fuzzy, poor quality digital images. Can you guys do that?” I am curious as to whether any camera owners had ever expressed the desire to carry on lengthy full-duplex conversations on their Polaroid? Why can’t my new refrigerator take pictures, as well? For that matter, why can’t my new cell phone chill down a six-pack?

I won’t be taking any pictures with my cell phone. Nor will I be making movies. Nor will I use it for playing music. Actually, I think text messaging is an obscene waste of time. I will talk on my cell phone. I will certainly misplace it several times a week. I will startle myself into small heart attacks when I use the vibrate feature. I will drop it and cause it to split into three pieces as the battery falls out. I will pull a shoulder muscle grabbing for it when it starts playing the “Brandenburg Concerto” in a quiet meeting room. During the life of my cell phone, I will say “What? WHAT? I CANT UNDERSTAND YOU! Call ME Back!!!” at least a million times.

“Can you hear me now?”

“NO, BUT I CAN TAKE YOUR PORTRAIT, FILM THE STORY OF YOUR LIFE, WRITE YOU A SONNET OR PLAY YOU THE BEATLES' WHITE ALBUM. SORRY, ABOUT THE WARM BEER THOUGH."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home