Name:

What is there to say? I'm not very interesting. I'm not a good writer. I don't even dress well. If you insist on knowing something about me just wander through the archives. It's all there.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

On buying cheap caulk

The furnace wasn't working this morning. Luckily, it still has most of a five year warranty. The company will be out this afternoon to fix it. The morning chill started me thinking about a magazine article that I had read on super conductors. The author made a comment about the impossibility of cooling something to absolute zero (approx. minus 460F).

At an earlier time in my life, I would have been tempted to scoff and think, "Nothing is impossible". Moreover, I would feel certain that I would probably live to see that goal attained. My optimism has gradually eroded. I am now much less sure that I will be around to see all the impossibles made possible.

With winter fast approaching, it is time to walk around the house and check the caulking and windows. At this point, I don't even bother to buy caulk that is guaranteed for forty years. According to the actuarial tables, even the cheap stuff has a better than even chance of outlasting me. If they don't get the furnace fixed soon, I may be wrong about reaching absolute zero in my lifetime. Odds are that I should still buy the cheap caulk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home